(meteorobs) Large bolide as projected VT, Ontario, Montreal 23FEB2011

Paul Goelz pgoelz at comcast.net
Wed Feb 23 23:08:44 EST 2011

At 07:07 AM 2/23/2011, you wrote:
>Dear List,
>
>A large green bolide has been seen in VT in USA, Ontario & Montreal
>Canada ~5:25 EST 23FEB2011
>
>http://lunarmeteoritehunters.blogspot.com/2011/02/vermont-green-meteor-fireball-23feb2011.html
>
>Dirk Ross...Tokyo

Interesting.  I was in the car this morning (February 23rd) at what I
think was about 5:12 AM EST on the freeway in the northern Detroit
suburbs and saw a spectacular fireball.  Greenish, with a very short
trail... maybe 1-2 degrees.  I'd put it in the low negative magnitude
range but there wasn't really anything else near it to use as a
reference.  I can't be sure but it looked like there might have been
two very closely spaced nuclei, so close that they almost appeared as
one.  I was busy driving so I can't give very precise coordinates
other than it was somewhere between south and southeast, and looked
like it was traveling straight down from maybe 45 degrees elevation
to maybe 20 degrees.  Took maybe 2-3 seconds from the time I first
saw it to when it extinguished.

I'm pretty sure about the time, so this doesn't seem to coincide with
the 5:25 report.

Anyone else see it?

Paul

Paul Goelz