(meteorobs) Pre-max Quadrantids from Oregon, 2011 Jan 3

Wes Stone howard048 at centurytel.net
Tue Jan 4 00:45:14 EST 2011

Skies are supposed to cloud for the morning of the 4th, and with rates
likely to be well down from maximum anyway I decided to watch on the morning
of the 3rd in hopes of catching climbing rates. Despite a threat of fog,
skies were OK, especially overhead. The first two meteors were the most
memorable of the watch--a slow, red, magnitude 0 sporadic and a blue -2
Quadrantid. The first two 15-minute periods contained 5 and 7 Quadrantids,
so I got my hopes up, but a later period contained only 1 Quadrantid and 1
sporadic. I ended up with 26 Quadrantids, 21 sporadics and 1 DLM in 1.53
hours before twilight ended the show.

I tried to catch some earthgrazers later on the evening of the 3rd, but I
got started a bit late. I saw a nice -1 right after I stepped out the door
at ~6:37pm, but had to wait until 7:30pm until I saw another, an orangish
+1.5.

Summary Report for the whole session (already submitted an interval report
to IMO):
Observer: Wesley Stone (STOWE)
Location: Chiloquin, OR (42d 35m N, 121d 52m W)
Method: Counting/Paper