(meteorobs) On the connection between nearby NEAs and therecentincrease in fireballs...

Chris Peterson clp at alumni.caltech.edu
Tue Jan 18 12:01:25 EST 2011

Most large fireballs are green. And it certainly is not clear to me that we
are seeing any statistically significant increase in fireball activity. Like
so much in nature, meteor frequencies are described by Poisson statistics,
and that means we'll naturally see periods of increased activity and periods
of decreased activity. Our brains want to connect this to something
physical, but I doubt anything is really there.

Chris