(meteorobs) Green Fireballs

GeoZay at aol.com GeoZay at aol.com
Thu Jan 27 21:47:17 EST 2011

In years past, I'd see a fair number of green  meteors...mostly with the
bright one's. Once I went thru my records and noted  the colors. I believe I
recorded more greens with the Geminids than any other  shower.
GeoZay

In a message dated 1/27/2011 6:42:38 P.M. Pacific  Standard Time,
epmajden at shaw.ca writes:
>>I have been following this  discussion about so called "Green
Fireballs".  This is nothing  unusual.  Mg I in the green region of the
spectrum is a major  contributer  along with other lines in this
region.  The eye  is also very sensitive to the green region.  I really
don;t think  "green fireballs" are unusual as far as I know.  Green can
be  also strong if fast fireballs >40 km/sec and the contributer here
could be the forbidden line of Oxygen at 557.7 n.m.   I have  checked
with Bob Lunsford from the AMS and Dr. Jiri Borovicka,  meteor
scientist, at Ondrejov.   Both agree with my  comments.  Jiri's comment
is noted below.>>