(meteorobs) Possible new meteor shower? comet C/2010 X1 Elenin

Wayne Hally meteoreye at comcast.net
Fri Jan 28 16:04:39 EST 2011

Not sure of the source of your info.

"We are at today at a minimum distance between the comet and the Earth"

The JPL sbdb page on the comet:

http://ssd.jpl.nasa.gov/sbdb.cgi?sstr=C%2F2010%20X1;orb=1;cov=0;log=0;cad=1#
orb

shows the close approach, at 0.252 AU on Oct 15th of this year. The current
distance is ~2.9 AU.

Since the comet is (so far) on a hyperbolic orbit, it will never return to
the inner solar system, so the creation of a meteor shower is unlikely.

Perhaps the language difference is preventing me from understanding what you
are trying to say.

BTW, the current estimated  Earth MOID = .0306115 AU, so perhaps an outburst
is possible, but based on the current orbit, , it's over 0.2 AU away in
October (~100 X lunar distance), and with no return likely, a regular
shower, no.

Wayne