(meteorobs) Perseids and the full moon

dfischer at astro.uni-bonn.de dfischer at astro.uni-bonn.de
Mon Jul 4 11:36:21 EDT 2011

> I believe that the transparency of your sky has a lot to do with what you
> experience. Daniel's experience was probably in high humidity where the
> moonlight is scattered much more than in dry areas. Those viewing in drier
> conditions can enjoy darker skies and therefore more activity.

I can actually attest to that as well. :-) Observing the 2007 Aurigids
outburst from Fremont Peak Observatory -
http://www.astro.uni-bonn.de/~dfischer/skyreports/2007/#aur - far from the
sea but in bright moonlight (4 days after full) was a much more pleasant
experience than the 2003 Perseids from the Turkish coast (almost exactly
at full): "The brightest stretches of the Milky Way could just be seen,
and the limiting magnitude in the darkest areas was about 5.1 mag. This
was a pleasant surprise" ...

Dan