(meteorobs) Fireball Meteor over New Jersey

Skywayinc at aol.com Skywayinc at aol.com
Thu Jul 14 02:01:53 EDT 2011

Received this from a colleague of mine from  our
sister station in NJ (I work at News 12  Westchester).
-- joe rao

I was just wondering if you had heard any chatter about  a bright ball of
fire in the southern sky tonight? I was heading southbound,  making my way
down the shore on the Garden state Parkway, around mile marker 121  around
11:30 p.m. EDT tonight when up in the sky I noticed this bright  ball,
seemingly fall from the sky heading out over the Raritan Bay into the  ocean off
Sandy Hook. At first I thought it might be some errant firework. It  lasted
about 4-5 sec and it was bright. What was truly amazing, it was almost as
bright as the moon. It was located about maybe "4 fists" eastward of the  moon.

Just thought I would share. Very cool to see. BTW I don't believe I  made a
wish yet.
Talk to you soon

Dave  Curren
Meteorologist