(meteorobs) Question

Ed Majden epmajden at shaw.ca
Fri Jun 3 12:51:17 EDT 2011

Pavol et all:
    What you say is true, but the OI green line in general is only present in fast meteors and not all of them.  I have seen many bright Perseid spectra that don't have a strong green line or often none at all. One other factor related to the OI green line it is a persitent radiation lasting as long as a few seconds long after the other spectral lines have disappeared. One odd thing is the green line is most often present in fast faint meteors secured with image intensifier spectrographs.  An odd thing I have notices is Gale A. Harvey's faint meteor spectra patrol using fast Maksutov film spectrographs often did not record the OI line but Image Intensifier spectra seem to show it all the time. I'm not sure why.  Maybe a professional has a view point on this. Mg I  in the green region of the spectrum is a strong feature in most spectra along with some other lines in this region.  I would think they would be more of a contributer to the green color for most meteors.  As for Perseid meteors the color is shifted to the blue end because of the strong presents of the Ca+ H&K lines etc.  Color of course is a blend of all the lines present in the mteor spectrum.  On another point our vision peeks in the green region so this is a factor also.  You can see some of my spectra on my home page at:  http://members.shaw.ca/majden/index.htm

Ed Majden - Amateur Meteor Spectroscopist - AMS