(meteorobs) Determining meteor speeds with all-sky cam?

Esko Lyytinen esko.lyytinen at jippii.fi
Fri Jun 3 14:02:42 EDT 2011

If one gets measured good individual directions for each video frame,
then the change of the apparent angular velocity tells the true
direction of entry. And with reasonable begining height one can "scale"
the whole entry path with velocities also. The beginning height depends
also on the velocity but with an iteration a reasonable value can be
obtained. The atmospheric deceleration also affects the apparent angular
velocity, but this mainly affects the end part of the track and less so
the beginning part (which, because of this, is more important for this
derivation). Only if a relatively long apparent (angular) track on the
sky is visible, can you expect to get a good result.

I have derived like this, a good number of meteor entry tracks including
velocities. Some of these could later be determined from multistation data.
In good instances the accuracy of the entry direction may be around two
degrees or better. And the accuracy of the velocity about or better than
10%.
The latest such derivation was the 2011 May 13/14 in British Columbia
http://lunarmeteoritehunters.blogspot.com/2011/05/montana-washington-idaho-alberta.html
In this case the original direction (by means of the Cranbrook video)
from az. 17 altitude 39 degrees, did not change (by good luck) even a
degree after two other videos came available. ( now 17.0 , +39.4 )
The beginning height and consequently the velocity did increase a
little. The veloctiy is now 24.5 km/s, as compared to that 22 km/s what
is mentioned at that lunarmeteoritehunters blog.
( This entry is still not especially well determined, because of non
good mutal situation of the camera stations relative to the meteoroid
track (and the two others at bigger distance), but probabaly within
about a degree accuracy, as to the direction.)

High velocity meteors are less affected by atmospheric deceleration and
because of this (if of enough apparent angular length) are more suitable
for this, but this can be applied also for meteorite droppers, as for
example that British Columbia example shows. Then a deceleration model
also for the beginning part is very valuable. The end may tell something
of the deceleration, and a physical ablation model can continue from
this. And some iteration between these can be further applied.

In some instances, a rough one station value of velocity can be got even
without accurate frame data. For example if it is apparently close to a
point meteor and so coming towards the observer, then (considering also
the apparent visible altitude angle (of the point meteor) and reasonable
beginning height) the path length must be limited (between the beginning
and the camera station (decreased from this because of reasonable end
height)) and the total duration will give some upper limit of the velocity.

Esko