(meteorobs) Determining meteor speeds with all-sky cam?

Esko Lyytinen esko.lyytinen at jippii.fi
Fri Jun 3 16:08:23 EDT 2011

Hi Chris,

You are right that narrow field cameras suit this better, if a long
track gets obseved in the field.
Especially if a distant short meteor track is seen in only one all sky
camera then there is not much hope of getting any usable result. But if
the camera is well calibrated and a nearby meteor makes a long apparent
track in the camera, like the Cranbrook video in May 13/14 this should
be successful. In this case the very bright fireball spread a lot in the
image and this made it more difficult to measure, but successfull
especially for a good part of the track near the beginning (which is
more importan to this as told) with manual frame measurments.

We here in Finlad (fireball observing group) have a number of allsky
cameras and more narrow field cameras and it is of course case dependent
what we may get. And in many cases the observational data is not as good
as one would hope, of course. There has been propable good meteorite
droppers that were observed from only one camera, but now I do not
remember any such here in only one allsky camera.

(
In some cases automatic directions are available (from UFO-prgrams for
example) for all frames, but if these have to be measured manually then
I typically measure only some of these like every fifth for exaple, IF
there are several seconds of recording. For expected good meteorite
droppers, all frames of the end track are measured even when having to
do this manually, to get the velocity and deceleration near the end well
derived (resulting to dynamic mass value and hopefully good dark flight
modeling) .
)

Esko