(meteorobs) Apr 29th widely seen KCMO metro and pt.s N & W green fireball

Bertunit at aol.com Bertunit at aol.com
Sat Jun 4 04:02:55 EDT 2011

Since we're talkin' about the recent uptick on the green fireballs, I, too,
saw a very nice one
early APR 29th pm 2011 eve. in Overland Park KS USA

Hi Bob and the meteor list!

I have to comment I saw my best apparent non-major shower related fireball
in many many years on
the eve. of Apr. 29th this year. (2011)

Saw at 859pm local time a -6 or -6.5 vividly green fireball that for that
time of night was
fairly swift, emanating from the ESE. I'd say it lasted 4 seconds, and was
fragmenting with
a terminal burst ending it's life in our atmosphere. Was long enough to
have a homeowner on
my construction jobsite get turned around on a golf cart to see the 2nd
half of it after my
exclamation on it. His high school boy was behind me and saw the whole
fireball as well.

Was spectacular, and KSHBTV NBC webpage had comments in the weatherblogs
about
it, so I imagine it was widely seen.

Start was nearly due north at 33 degrees ending WNW at 12-14 degrees. Had
excellent
field of view and knew directions well with Polaris above the start pt.

Witnessed in Overland Park KS at about 38.5 degrees N longitude.

Long time since a bright eve. event for me!

And GREEN vividly.

Almost could call it an apex-type and more rapid than what I would think
typical in deep twilight.

Bert Matous
Lenexa KS