(meteorobs) meteor colors

Ed Majden epmajden at shaw.ca
Tue Jun 7 13:57:29 EDT 2011

    I realy think that the color of meteors is more of an issue with the way one perseives colors.  This seems to vary between individual observers.  As for "Red" meteors there are very few spectral lines at the red end of a meteor spectrum. N 2+ (nitrogen) and Si+ (silicon) is sometimes present but I don't know if these features would be strong enough to give a meteor a red color.  Perhaps a meteor seen near the horizon through pollution could appear redish to some.
Ed Majden - AMS Meteor Spectroscopy