(meteorobs) Short watch for June Bootids from southern Maryland

Richard Taibi rjtaibi at hotmail.com
Sat Jun 25 08:53:10 EDT 2011

Sky conditions seemed promising as I set out to observe shortly after sundown on June 24 (EDT).  However, scattered clouds made a comeback and blocked too much of the sky after an hour.  But, during the watch, I saw and plotted one fourth magnitude meteor that came from the region of a JBO video radiant mentioned in the 2011 IMO Shower Calendar, at 216d (14h24m) and +38d.  The Calendar reported that the radiant could be active on June 24.  However the meteor's speed was faster than what should be expected from the JBOs: it was a chance alignment with the JBO radiant.

June 25, 2011, 2:20-3:25 UT
Bel Alton, MD; 76d, 59m W longitude; 38d, 28m N latitude; +10 meters elevation
Lm= 5.15; F=1.03; Teff= 1.00,  Field Ctr= 230d RA and +32 Dec (border between Corona Borealis and Bootes)

SPO: +4

Rich