(meteorobs) extremely fast evening meteor

Ed Cannon edcannonsat at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 25 11:07:52 EDT 2011

Last night (evening of 24/25 June) I saw as fast
a meteor as I've ever seen (based on what I can
remember).  It covered at least 20 degrees of sky
in about half a second.  It was about second
magnitude and traversed the Big Dipper from right
to left (north to west), moving horizontally.
I didn't write down the time, but it was between
9:30 and 10:30 PM local (Central Daylight) time.

A night or two before that I saw a very short
magnitude one meteor in Ophiuchus, centered on
about RA 17:20, Dec +10.  It was two degrees
long at most.  After that, the next day, I saw
Bob Lunsford's mention of the Ophiuchid meteors
and so of course wondered if I might have seen
one, although I didn't write down the direction.
This one was in the evening also.

Both of these were seen from an exurban semi-
rural location, Dripping Springs, Texas, where
I'm currently house-sitting for a week.

Clear, dark nights to all --

Ed Cannon - Austin, Texas, USA