(meteorobs) Nevada Meteors WAS Re: East Coast Meteor and MN Meteor 1MAR2011

Mike Hankey mike.hankey at gmail.com
Wed Mar 2 14:29:58 EST 2011

Count,

At least you live in a place where the meteorites can be easily found
when they fall. These East Coast Meteors are a real tease. It looks
like last night's went in the ocean.

In theory NV (or any place else in the world) should get just as many
meteors as the east coast. I just don't think there are as many people
out there to see them, compared to the densely populated east coast.

So the question is.... If a meteor falls in the NV desert and nobody
is there to witness it, does it still make a sound? Does it still
leave meteorites on the ground?

Thanks,

Mike

P.S. The AMS website now has a 'search by state' feature.

Here are all of the reported NV falls dating back to 2005.

http://bit.ly/hLBeo3 (this search will only show reports where the
witness was from the state of NV).

You just had one recently 12/26/2010 AMS ID: 914 , that was witnessed
by 16 people: http://bit.ly/i9fKoU

Here's an image of the plot-able witness reports:  http://i.imgur.com/Ovsjn.jpg

It looks like the flight path would have gone over central CA, which I
believe is heavily covered with allsky cameras.

If you're lucky and work hard maybe you can find a few allsky videos
or maybe even a radar return somewhere east of Elko and south of route
80.