(meteorobs) f-Herculids

Esko Lyytinen esko.lyytinen at jippii.fi
Mon Mar 7 13:25:30 EST 2011

Hi all,

In the night Feb 27/28 we had some meteos with back-traces crossing at
around 272, +39.
The IAU Meteor Data Center gives the radiant of FHE as 268, +41 , that
are quite neaby.
http://www.astro.amu.edu.pl/~jopek/MDC2007/Roje/pojedynczy_obiekt.php?kodstrumienia=345&colecimy=0

You can see the BTrail image of our data of the night at:
http://www.lyytinen.name/esko/BT20110227.png
The backtraces of the meteors in quesion cross (as blue or light blue)
"below" Wega at left from center.
One of them, a litte aside, crossing as blue at 269, +33 is a double
station meteor, possibly belonging with the others or possbly not.
The Vinf of this was 47 km/s ( Vg 45.6 km/s )
In the colouring, the change from blue to light blue is expected at
(Vinf) 41 km/s (bigger at blue), but there is of course some scatter in
this.

The data is collected from the Finnish fireball-group stations, and all
the meteors in question happen to be from Ilkka Yrjölä's camera and the
double station meteor also from Ari Jokinen. Ilkka Yrjölä gets more dim
meteors than others of us. The others are more concentrated to fireballs.
Because practically only Ilkka captured these, the meteors were probably
not so bright.

Regards,
Esko