(meteorobs) March 11/12 observations from North Florida

Paul Jones jonesp0854 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 15 02:16:43 EDT 2011

Greetings all,
     I decided to take advantage of the relatively mild and very clear late
winter conditions this past weekend to get out and log my first meteor
observing session away from a major shower in quite some time indeed.  I
decided to take a shot at looking for a couple of the obscure and lesser
known radiants on the IMO and IAU Meteor Data Center lists.
     The ones that caught my fancy on the IAU MDC webpage were: the North
alpha Leonids (NAL, #39) and the March Cassiopeiids (MCA, #127).  The NAL's
max was Mar. 10/11 and the MCA's max was Mar. 11/12.  Also, I wanted to see
if there might be any lingering f Herculids (FHE, #345) from their max
around Mar. 8/9.  And, of course, the ever present Anthelion radiant as it
migrated into western Virgo.
     I decided to shoot for the midnight timeframe after moonset as the ANT
and the NAL radiants would be high and dry in the sky and still keep the FHE
radiant in good shape in the northeastern sky.  I never was quite sure where
the MCA radiant was, I figured it must have been passing under the pole at
that time.  Anyway, I logged two relaxing, enjoyable and fairly productive
hours, bagging 19 meteors, along with three ANTs and a possible NAL to
boot!  Here's the data: