(meteorobs) Meteorites

Bernd V. Pauli bernd.pauli at paulinet.de
Mon Mar 21 17:17:46 EDT 2011

> I was wondering if anyone here had some further information
> on the story or if I could be pointed in the right direction. Any
> help would be much appreciated.

Hello Chris,

Here's what I can contribute:

1) The Wiluna Meteorite was observed to fall on September 2, 1967 at 22:46 hrs. Along with sonic phenomena, a fireball was seen. An estimated 1,000 stones fell over an arid sheep grazing area approximately five miles east of the Wiluna Township, Western Australia. Almost the entire town (including people from surrounding stations (ranches) was gathered in the outdoor movie house when the fireball came over. They heard electrophonic sounds - crackling and hissing while the fireball was visible and incandescent. The diesel generator which powers the town cut out, and when the policeman went to jump in his Landcruiser and investigate, it would not start until well after the fireball was over. Local land holders picked up many of the stones and the Western Australia Museum came out and organized a systematic search of the four by two mile strewn field with the help of the local aborigines. It was all picked up soon after it fell, which is why it looks so pristine. Bob Haag's 1997
editi
on of his Field Guide of Meteorites notes "Interestingly, the Wiluna strewnfield overlaps that of Millbillillie." The material recovered has been estimated to be in excess of 150 kg. The individual masses range in weights from 2 grams up to 10 kg. Analysis of this H5 chondrite demonstrated the meteorite contains more than 24% iron.

2) Met.Bull.:

http://www.lpi.usra.edu/meteor/metbull.php?code=24281

Cheers,

Bernd (Member of the MetList => Meteorite Central)