(meteorobs) Major TX, OK, AR, MO, KS, CO, NE Green Fireball Meteor ~9:21CDT 23MAR2011

Wayne Hally meteoreye at comcast.net
Fri Mar 25 06:48:08 EDT 2011

Pete,
Electrophonics are sounds that occur simultaneous with the meteor, generally
hissing or crackling sounds. To happen at the same time, they must be radio
waves of some kind, since they travel at "c", the speed of light (and all
electromagnetic radiation). It's a difficult subject to research, because
fireballs that produce them are so rare, and respecting Murphy's Law, the
proper equipment to make measurements is almost never in place. So it's
mostly anecdotal evidence. Some targeted research was conducted during the
Leonid storms around the 2000 period, I have yet to see a peer reviewed
article with results...hope there will someday be one. If anyone knows of
any, please let me know!!

Sonic Booms are produced from the shock wave of the meteoroid passing
through the air at supersonic speeds, or the detonation of the object as it
is disrupted by the aerodynamic pressures. Since this occurs at some height
above the surface, the arrival of the sound occurs minutes later, since
sound travels about a mile in 5 seconds. So if is produced at 30 miles above
the surface, the boom will happen 2 1/2 minutes after the fireball itself.
Since these are acoustic events, they can be detected by barometers and even
seismographs, so there are better records. Unfortunately, most naïve
witnesses to fireballs don't know to listen for a few minutes after the
event, so many useful reports are lost.

Wayne