(meteorobs) Major TX, OK, AR, MO, KS, CO, NE Green Fireball Meteor ~9:21CDT 23MAR2011

Chris Peterson clp at alumni.caltech.edu
Fri Mar 25 09:58:09 EDT 2011

Pete-

As others have also pointed out, meteors which produce atmospheric sounds
(typically, sonic booms) must get quite low to do so, and meteors which
reach the dense lower atmosphere- a few tens of kilometers- are more likely
to produce meteorites.

Electrophonic noise, though rare, is reported for bright fireballs even when
they are very high, so I don't consider it a factor in estimating the
possibility of meteorite production.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory