(meteorobs) Meteorites on The Ground! (Was: To Dirk)

Meteorites USA eric at meteoritesusa.com
Fri Mar 25 16:51:04 EDT 2011

Wayne, List, With all due respect.

Bad science and hype...? Determining if there are or aren't meteorites
on the ground from any given firbeball event isn't possible (yet) based
on current data and studies.

Interestingly enough there is insufficient evidence to conclude that
there are no meteorites on the ground from any given fireball
fragmentation event, nor is there proof there is, because a lack of
evidence is not evidence, therefore an accurate conclusion cannot be
determined.

There is insufficient evidence to suggests any fragmenting
bolide/fireball/meteoroid ablates up to 90% of it's mass upon entry AND
that the remaining mass does not impact the ground, simply because most
(99.9%?) of past fragmenting fireball events ever witnessed are never
hunted, and have only been observed, much less have meteorite specimens
been found from those past events. Hence I find it hard to believe
anyone could determine empirically based on that clear lack of
observational, recorded, and experimental data that meteorites are NOT
on the ground from any given event.

Simply viewing the fireball, and calculating how much of that body
ablates, and then determining that meteorites are NOT on the ground is
patently impossible without knowing all variables. Yes speed can be
determined, yes angle of decent can be determined, yes ablation physics
and equations can be produced, and many other factors are thrown into
that calculation, but the most important is usually ignored in most
circumstances. Determining composition.

Most (99% or more) of the fireballs recorded/witnessed are not analyzed
for composition via spectrographic analysis or other means by scientific
equipment. Therefore how can one determine that one fireball or another
ablates 90% of it's meteoroid mass or more, or if there are meteorites
on the ground? You can't, at least not accurately.

Further, there are no recorded/experimental data to support the
conclusion that 90% of any meteoroid is ablated during atmospheric
entry. It's an ablation physics equation. Has anyone ever taken a large
meteorite back into space and shot it at the Earth and recorded that
ablation data? Not that I know of, because it's probably too darn
expensive.

Even the size and type of a meteoroid body able to reach and impact the
surface of the planet is debatable within the scientific community. Look
at the Carancas Crater event.