(meteorobs) "Meteor "Ablation Study in BBC article

MEM mstreman53 at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 25 18:34:14 EDT 2011

If this recounts the test Sponsored by ESA which I remember but whose name I
have forgotten-- (or one of a series of tests which some were canceled)  there
were a lot of problems with the experiment design.

This BBC report got a lot of things wrong when pairing it down to the attention
span of their average reader.

The entire assembly of several rocks samples/types was about the size of a
bowler (hat) and some test samples were lost entirely.

The reentry speed of the capsule was not 1/5th the velocity of a typical
meteoroid entry.

The assembly was intentionally placed behind the zone of direct ablation for
fear the experiment wouldn't survive.

The main sample--the one mentioned from Scotland was selected more for local
notoriety than as a meteorite stimulant.

---It was very a friable (hand crumble-able) sandstone-- not a tightly bound
igneous rock such as a basalt

 I believe a basalt sample from Austria(?) Norway(?)was included but lost.
 I believe the samples included a limestone --which any geologist knows will not
melt but will revert to Carbon dioxide and lime at 400°±. yet the researchers
were suprised to find only white powder and no fusion crust
 The idea of piggybacking onto an existing mission was good but it got lost in
the waste, fraud and abuse category of execution, in my opinion.

So there is a lot of potential error in trying to transfer the results from this
experiment over to bio-viability and on ablation in general.

There was a survival/thermo study done with one of the Martan meteorites where
the internal temperatures maximums were proved to not have exceeded 165°F
suggesting that organic life forms there may be could survive inside a small
sized meteorite from Mars no less..

Elton