(meteorobs) Meteorites on The Ground! (Was: To Dirk)

Meteorites USA eric at meteoritesusa.com
Fri Mar 25 19:45:08 EDT 2011

Quote: ""Three quarters of the rock, which was about the size of a small
pork pie, was burnt off in the experiment."

So only 75% of a body is ablated during atmospheric entry? This
disproves the 90% ablation rate hypothesis and actually proves my point.

And this only with one simple experiment. (if this data is accurate of
course) It is still inconclusive evidence though that 99% of all
meteoroid bodies ablate away to nothing. In fact it's logical evidence
contrary to currently accepted scientific hypotheses that say the
ablation rates are so very high, because we have no way of knowing the
size of 99.9% of the bodies BEFORE entry into the atmosphere. In fact
there is only ONE case where we knew the size of a *natural* body before
it entered our atmosphere and impacted Earth, and that's the very well
known, and perhaps famous, Asteroid 2008 TC3.

Therefore the conclusion becomes one that incorrectly supposes and
assumes that since the ablation rates are so high, that an equally high
percentage of meteoroids burn up completely within the atmosphere. It's
just a jump in logic that doesn't work. It's logically incorrect based
on the current data.

I'm curious how this 75% number was determined. Was every piece that
remained of the body, that survived atmospheric entry recovered? (in
other words, what were the methods?) Because recovery rates will vary
based on a number of factors including but not limited to, terrain,
color, contrast of the specimens with local soil color, and the eyesight
of the individual(s) recovering the specimens.

Further... How many specimens of any meteoroid bodies that impact Earth
are actually recovered? What's that percentage? You would have to
recover every single piece that survived entry to determine an accurate
estimate of others and that still doesn't take into account the variable
composition factor. And to do that you would have to have a perfectly
controlled environment. This is a good example of a control, for 1 type
of stone. And it answers a lot of questions. But like any good
experiment/answer, it brings with it more questions.

How big is a pork pie?

Regards,
Eric