(meteorobs) Breaking News - Major TX, OK, AR, MO, KS, CO, NE Green Fireba...

GeoZay at aol.com GeoZay at aol.com
Fri Mar 25 20:55:06 EDT 2011

http://lunarmeteoritehunters.blogspot.com/2011/03/breaking-news-major-texas-green.html

>>  This put rocks on the ground!
>>
>> Dirk  Ross...Tokyo

The more reports on this event I read on this website, the  more I'm
convinced that no meteorites made it to the ground. A couple reports  state that
it "Streaked to the ground". A couple more stated it lasted about 3
seconds...a rather short period for a meteorite dropping meteor. Some reports  are
at 5 to 10 seconds. As an experienced meteor observer, I know for a fact
that for most casual meteor sightings, duration times are notoriously longer
than they really are.  No serious reports about sonic booms also. This all
sounds more like a fragile cometary object to me. They aren't known as
meteorite  droppers.   As for the green color being reported, I wouldn't give
that any meaning for the case of dropped meteorites or not. At the cost of gas
nowadays, I wouldn't waste any time driving out to any proposed landing
sites  unless I just happened to live in the area.
George Zay