(meteorobs) Breaking News - Major TX, OK, AR, MO, KS, CO, NE Green, Fireball Meteor ~9:21CDT 23MAR2011

Esko Lyytinen esko.lyytinen at jippii.fi
Sat Mar 26 06:12:21 EDT 2011

Hi all,

With some experience (maybe some dozens of (derived at least small
fragment) falls, and many non-falls of course) of determining dynamic
(with also other) masses of Finnish and some others fireballs, I was
thinking if to try to make a more thorough analysis if this, but because
of yet non calibrated cameras (with now even no access to star data),
this would mean maybe a week of full time work. So I did not start this
big work, but made some quick rough "checking".

I have earlier mapped the imaging geometry of some Sentinel cameras and
used this data (assuming enough of similarity) to get the start and end
altitude angle, with the assumed horizon location as a reference.
( I could quite easily get directions for Thomas Ashcraft camera, but
this station was very distant, and the altitude angles near horizon
(imaging geometry derived from star data) would not be as accurate as
hoped for, so I did not measure these. Even this would need some star (
or city lights) checking, if the camera directions have been fixed since
calibrated. )

The next is for the Oklahoma city vdeo.
I get the start elevation as 23 dergees and the end elevation as 32 or
33 degrees.

In the video, the duration is 9 seconds. And the fireball is allready
visible in the beginning and also in the end.

I ASSUME the true beginning height (in this camera) as 75 kilometers,
(hopefully) consistend about to fit the rough velocity value, later in
this. ( With a more sensitive camera and more nearby location (of
start)n and considering that it is allready vislble, this would be a
somewhat more high value with other circumstances.)
Wit this I get the ground distance as 168 km ( the true accurate is of
course not so good).
( Have in the calculations none or less rounded values.)

IF we ASSUME the end height as 30 km, the ground distance to this is
about 47 km.
The meteoroid comes allmost towards the camera. With this assumption the
ground path would be 121 km. But taking into accout the fact that it
came a bit aside, this would be roughly 130.
With this the average ground velocity is 14.5 km/s. Taking into account
the slope (around 21 degrees, in these assuumptions) the average along
the path would be 15.5 km/s. Noticing that it had deceleration, the true
entry velocity might be around 17 km/s. ( could get a more elaborate
value for consistency, but considering the over-all unecrtainty, may not
bee needed.)
This is a good case for this kind off check because of the limited
possible "space" of the track.

In the above, the end height  assumption is of course very uncertain,
but IF it was more hight, this would mean a more slow entry velocity
(and the contrary if more low).

I can not get a good calibrated magnitude value, but think that this is
well brighter that Iridium -8, so maybe -10 ?
I try to get some integreted bightness value. I approximate maybe 5
seconds at that mag -10 might give some level of an estimation (?)
Better calibrated values are welcome.

With the entry velocity and this value a formula for mass gives the
entry mass as about 15 kg.
( I have not here the exact reference of this mass-formula, but this is
from some oldish Canadian fireball-network publication. So this may not
the best present date data, but is also about consistenet with our own
derived dynamic masses.)
Assuming the ablation coefficient as 0.01 and entry velocity as 17 km/s,
that 15 beginning.mass would give the end mass about 3.5 kg ( fragments
combined ).

I also have my own non-published statistical formula for the masses and
end heigth and slope. Data for this model is from oldish Canadian
fireball-network pulication (table of derived end masses). And this
seems to be more or less consistent also with my own dynamic mass
determinations. For the data above (especially the assumed end height)
this would give the end mass ass 4.5 kg.

I could make some iteration cahnge with the end eight to get these two
mass-values equal. This ( to get a real fit of the values) would mean a
slight increase of the end height. But the general uncertainties are so
big that there is not much sense to do this. The statistical model in
the original data set was in almost all cases good to about relative
values of 1/3 or 3/1 and the magnitude estimation (above) of this
firball is very poor.

We do not know the matherial of this instance, but also the Canadian
data was not selected, although very probably mostly ordinary chondrites.

Do not take that above as an actual trial of exact derivation of the
mass. The true error margins are quite big.
Its purpose is mainly to assume if this did fell a meteorite or not.
I myself am quite confident, but NOT very sure, that this fireball did
fell down a meteorite of "moderate" size ( from maybe about one to
several kg range, if ordinary chondrite ), and (some) smaller
fragment(s). Others may disagree, this is ok, of course.

BUT, a low radiant angle, of course means a long dark flight. So even
though (hopefully) getting the entry path well determined, the landing
site location will not be so good.
( For similar size meteorites, lower entry agle also means higher
luminous flight end height, that also ( in connection to the low entry
angle) affects to lengthen the dark flight.)

Regards,
Esko