(meteorobs) Meteorites on The Ground! (Was: To Dirk)

Marco Langbroek marco.langbroek at wanadoo.nl
Sat Mar 26 08:26:09 EDT 2011

Op 26-3-2011 00:45, Meteorites USA schreef:
> Quote: ""Three quarters of the rock, which was about the size of a small
> pork pie, was burnt off in the experiment."
>
> So only 75% of a body is ablated during atmospheric entry? This
> disproves the 90% ablation rate hypothesis and actually proves my point.

It disproves nothing. Apples and oranges.

Somebody here on meteorobs already remarked this earlier: but the entry velocity
of an earth orbiting vehicle (i.e. satellite) such as the one on which the
samples were mounted, is clearly lower than that of meteorite dropping
meteoroids. As a result, ablation rates will be markedly different.

Re-entry from Earth orbit is with maximum speeds of 7.5 - 8 km/s. This is a mere
35% to at best 50% of the speed of a meteoroid (minimal 11.8 km/s, often much
more, up to 25 km/s).

In a way, this is somewhat similar to having a bicyclist at ~30 km/h run into a
wall, and then trying to asses from that what damage will result from a car
doing the same at 100 km/h.

The two are just not comparable.

- Marco

-----