(meteorobs) Sort of apology to meteorobs

MEM mstreman53 at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 26 13:32:35 EDT 2011

> Speculation is fine, as long as it is  so  labeled.
>
> Wayne

Shouldn't you then label your opinions as "opinions"?  or are somethings just
understood?

Sort of, perhaps, by way of showing your sincerity, Wayne, you can give us your
assessment of this event?  It is one thing to armchair and another to lead by
example.  You, after all, are an experienced fireball investigator.  To not
participate in light of other folks "above and beyond effort" would speak
volumes as to your sincerity and dedication.  Shouldn't you offer your sagely
advice on how to organize and collect information?   Your criteria for
determining a fall or non-fall needs to be shared, given your issue with others
making an assessment.

Please give us the benefit of the state of the art processing for sighting data.
Have you done any followup interviews in accordance with the doctrine of the
AMS?   What sources would you consult and what data have you personally
processed in this fall that suggests it was not a meteorite producing event?
What data --period-- have you assembled for consumption by others?  I'll help
you out a bit (hint hint)  Did they have dash and security cams in your day, or
would you not even attempt to find footage given the imprecise employment?

You've expressed the importance of the science and I'd like to see your progress
in making a contribution.  If you can't or won't share that data can you at
least list the significient components of this event?  How many branches of data
do you see that need to be explored?

Please don't make us wait too long this event is getting stale. I am trying to
validate if you still live up to your reputation and if you have kept abreast of
the inventory of data sources.  I think it is valid to assess your ability to be
the keeper of the science on this list given you've given me some reason to
question your ability to fill the shoes.

I am not picking on you, I am just asking you to provide the
data/opinion/assessment and your judgmentas to how to treat its non-standard
data. I  especially am fascinated to hear your criteria for assessing the
likelihood of a fireball producing a meteorite-- given your insistence on
precise science and data. Please define the parameters of a data set  you might
find acceptable?

Well?  are you up to putting your effort where your mouth is? This is not
rhetorical  I really, really, want to hear from your vast experience and
expertise what we can do to improve and refine the approach to documenting
fireball events.  If you can't or won't them please do not stand in the way of
those who are willing and keep your opinion to yourself.  Martardom is so passe`
but fall on your sword if you must but please make it final.
 Whichever path you take to wiggle out of this challenge will be fun to watch.

Inquiring minds
Elton