(meteorobs) Ablation Meteorites on The Ground!

MEM mstreman53 at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 26 18:10:46 EDT 2011

Eric  don't rely on the BBC report is factually full of error.  The experimental
design itself was poorly thought through IMO.

I googled "artificial meteorite" and the name of the experiment was  "STONE-6"
or STONE 6 there is also a "STONE 5" referenced also an an abstract  is included
below.

My recollection of the STONE 6 mission: The experiment was placed well outside
the ring of direct ablation. Absolute loss of material from the sample holder
makes the ablation portion of the experiment largely null.  The experiment was
primarily to make an assessment of the possibility of a life-form within a
meteoroid surviving entry.The experiment was a collection of 4 or 5 small
samples attached to a metal fixture the size of a hat brim. Some broke, some
fell out and some vaporized.  There is little scientifically to glean from the
mission as the experiment largely failed team expectation but preformed as well
as one

should have expected.  One reference says it proved life could survive one news
story says it proved it couldn't yada yada.  I know of no post flight photos of
the experiment assembly.  There is perhaps one single online elsewhere.

"The exposure of a carbonaceous siltstone sample to atmospheric entry, as part
of the STONE 6 artificial meteorite experiment, has allowed a controlled
investigation of the effect of heat shock during atmospheric entry on organic
matter in carbonaceous meteorites and, potentially, sedimentary martian
meteorites containing carbonaceous biomolecules. Thermal alteration is evident
in an increase in structural order of the carbon (i.e. degree of
graphitisation), preferential loss of thermally unstable compounds and
substantial loss of extractable organic matter. There is a gradient of
increasing alteration towards the outer, exposed margin of the rock, and also an
increase in hydrocarbons that suggests outward migration following
thermally-induced generation. The carbon has not been completely graphitised,
and sufficient biomarker compounds survive to prove the biological origin of the
organic matter. The experiment implies that meteorites of appropriate size could
preserve evidence of biological activity on their parent body".

also

"The generic concept of the artificial meteorite experiment STONE is to fix rock
samples bearing microorganisms on the heat shield of a recoverable space capsule
and to study their modifications during atmospheric re-entry. The STONE-5
experiment was performed mainly to answer astrobiological questions. The rock
samples mounted on the heat shield were used (i) as a carrier for microorganisms
and (ii) as internal control to verify whether physical conditions during
atmospheric re-entry were comparable to those experienced by “real” meteorites.
Samples of dolerite (an igneous rock), sandstone (a sedimentary rock), and
gneiss impactite from Haughton Crater carrying endolithiccyanobacteria were
fixed to the heat shield of the unmanned recoverable capsule FOTON-M2. Holes
drilled on the back side of each rock sample were loaded with bacterial and
fungal spores and with dried vegetative cryptoendoliths. The front of the
gneissic sample was also soaked with cryptoendoliths. The mineralogical
differences between pre- and post-flight samples are detailed. Despite intense
ablation resulting in deeply eroded samples, all rocks in part survived
atmospheric re-entry. Temperatures attained during re-entry were high enough to
melt dolerite, silica, and the gneiss impactite sample. The formation of fusion
crusts in STONE-5 was a real novelty and strengthens the link with real
meteorites. The exposed part of the dolerite is covered by a fusion crust
consisting of silicate glass formed from the rock sample with an admixture of
holder material (silica). Compositionally, the fusion crust varies from
silica-rich areas (undissolved silica fibres of the holder material) to areas
whose composition is “basaltic”. Likewise, the fusion crust on the exposed
gneiss surface was formed from gneiss with an admixture of holder material. The
corresponding composition of the fusion crust varies from silica-rich areas to
areas with “gneiss” composition (main component potassium-rich feldspar). The
sandstone sample was retrieved intact and did not develop a fusion crust.
Thermal decomposition of the calcite matrix followed by disintegration and
liberation of the silicate grains prevented the formation of a melt.
Furthermore, the non-exposed surface of all samples experienced strong thermal
alterations. Hot gases released during ablation pervaded the empty space between
sample and sample holder leading to intense local heating. The intense heating
below the protective sample holder led to surface melting of the dolerite rock
and to the formation of calcium-silicate rims on quartz grains in the sandstone
sample".

STONE 5

Response of sandstone to atmospheric heating during the STONE 5  experiment:
Implications for the palaeofluid record in meteorites

References and further reading may be available for this article. To view
references and further reading you must purchase this article.

John Parnell, Darren Mark and Franz Brandstätter

Abstract
A 1 cm thick sandstone disk exposed to  atmospheric re-entry on the heat shield
of a spacecraft (the STONE 5  experiment) shows alteration of fluid inclusions
compared to a control  sample. The sandstone contained inclusions in quartz
grains, feldspar  grains and calcite cement before flight. After flight,
inclusions in the  feldspar were all decrepitated, few inclusions in calcite
survived  intact and they yielded widely varying microthermometric data, and the
quartz inclusions also yielded disturbed microthermometric data. The  quartz
becomes less affected with depth below the surface, and  extrapolation suggests
would be unaffected at a depth of about 2 cm.  These data show that fluid
inclusion data from meteorites must be  treated with caution, but that a genuine
fluid record may survive in the  interior portions. The possibility of thermal
sterilization to 2 cm  depth also implies that small meteorites may be
unsuitable vehicles for  the transfer of microbial life from one planetary body
to another. As  the interiors of larger meteorites tend to have very low
porosity and  permeability, microbial colonization would be difficult, and the
potential for panspermia is accordingly low.

Elton