(meteorobs) Two Fireballs on March 23rd from South-Central USA?

Pat pat_branch at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 28 08:56:07 EDT 2011

I would have to say it is my opinion that there were at least 2 events in the North Texas area. One seems to have occurred about 8:45 and the other about 9:20. I was outside in the Fort Worth area the entire time from 9:00 to about 9:50 and did not see it! Dang!

It seems there was another event (smaller?) around 12:30 around OK. A number of people have talked about getting off at midnight and starting a drive to work at midnight. So it seems there were a number of events that night. Not sure what that says about the original bodies.

Since I live in the Fort Worth area, I think I will try and check the doppler radar for signs of something surviving. I will also state my opinion that if a sonic boom is hear, then almost certainly something will reach the ground. This is based on the fact that things above the 150,000 foot range do not have the pressure differential to reach the ground (really large objects could of course). Since meteors tend to glow above these altitudes, once they get down below 100,000 foot they are not "burning" but this is where they would create a sonic boom. Also something has to have some mass to produce a sonic boom. A sand grain size pebble at 100,000 feet would not produce a boom because the pressure wave disipitates too widely. So I think if you hear a sonic boom that can be associated with a meteor then you can assume something made it to the ground.

That said there is only one report of a sonic boom from the 9:20 event and that was at least 100 miles away from the likely termal area...so I am thinking it is unlikely we will find any meteroites from this event (not saying there are none, but if something survived they would be small with no track evidence to help).