(meteorobs) Paper by Molina and Moreno

David Entwistle david at radiometeor.plus.com
Mon Mar 28 12:33:43 EDT 2011

I haven't read it myself, but I see that there's a new paper published
in the Astronomical Journal, "Leonid Meteoroids: Reconciliation of
Cometary Outgassing Theory and Electrophonic Sound Data" by A. Molina
and F. Moreno.

doi: 10.1088/0004-6256/141/5/148

<http://iopscience.iop.org/1538-3881/141/5/148>

Abstract:

We determine the size of the largest particles that can be lifted from
the nuclear surface of the comet 55P/Tempel-Tuttle using a classical
outgassing model. The values obtained are in agreement with the
estimated lower bound to the diameter of a Leonid meteoroid just capable
of producing electrophonic sounds. Thus, we reconcile the discrepancy
found by Beech between the estimated value for the maximum diameter of
the particle ejected from the parent comet and the size of the 1833
Leonid meteoroid calculated as necessary to produce electrophonic sound.
--
David Entwistle