(meteorobs) 1944 perseids

Roberto G. md6648 at mclink.it
Thu Mar 31 03:00:08 EDT 2011

>From: "Dave Hostetter" <dehostetter at cox.net>
>

>I was contacted today by a local novelist looking for information about the
> 1944 Perseids for a scene in a new book.  Would anyone have any
> information
> for that year regarding the actual date and time of peak, and typical
> observed rates?
>
> If nothing else, I have to give the lady credit for actually wanting to
> get
> the astronomy right!
>
> Thanks for any help you can give.
>
> Dave Hostetter

In that years (40') the ZHR was around the half that in the recent years,
the maximum was between 30 and 60, I not found specific data for
1944, but in 1940 the maximum was 29 ZHR and in 1945 189 ZHR
(the maximum occured 16-19 U.T. of the 11-12 August, R.J. Wood
from Pine Island, Okinawa (from Handbook Visual Meteor
Observations, edited by Paul Roggemans in 1987). In 11 August
1944 the Moon was at the Last Quater, then very bad for to observe
Perseids.
Best greetings.
Roberto Gorelli