(meteorobs) 1944 perseids

Bernd V. Pauli bernd.pauli at paulinet.de
Thu Mar 31 14:59:01 EDT 2011

Hi Dave and Meteor Observers,

> I was contacted today by a local novelist looking for information about the
> 1944 Perseids for a scene in a new book. Would anyone have any information
> for that year regarding the actual date and time of peak, and typical observed rates?

Here's what I can contribute. Not exactly what the novelist lady is looking for,
but, who knows, maybe at least part of it is useful:

Sky & Telescope, Oct 1944, p. 18 (Observer’s Page by Jesse A. Fitzpatrick):

A detailed report of six nights of Perseid observing has been received at Harvard Observ-
atory from Wilmond W. Parker, of Bethel, Vt. In his summary of 91 Perseids on August 9-10-11, this amateur reports one to have been of magnitude -3, two of magnitude -1. Distinct trails were shown by 37 of the meteors. On the evening of August 11th, Mr. Parker observed 77 meteors, of which he estimated some eight to be non-Perseids
 August 11, from 10:38-12:00, saw 48 Perseids and six non-Perseids,
 (Culled from: Tthe Complete Sky & Telescope Seven Decade DVD Collection).

Best wishes,

Bernd (in Germany)

To: dehostetter at cox.net
    meteorobs at meteorobs.org