(meteorobs) May 7/8 ETA observation from north Florida

Paul Jones jonesp0854 at gmail.com
Tue May 10 14:52:48 EDT 2011

Greetings again all,
    I'm a bit late getting this brief ETA observation in from last Saturday
night/Sunday morning from St. Augustine.  Sky conditions were very weak
overall due to a vail of wildfire smoke covering the entire sky.  Judging
from both Lew's and George's observations sandwiched on either side of my
date, the smoke really cut into my observed rates during this session, big
time!  Anyway, here's the meager data:

 Date:  May 7/8, 2011
Location:  5 miles SW of St. Augustine, Florida  81 33 W, 29 09 N
8:25 - 9:25 UT (0425 - 0525 EDT)  Teff - 1.0 Lm - 5.5  20% horizon
obstruction (trees) and considerable smoke haze, facing south CFOV:  RA 255
Dec 10

2 ETA, 1 ELY, 1 ANT, 6 SPO for 10 total meteors.

Mags:

ETA - +3 (1), +4 (1)
ELY - +3 (1)
ANT - +3 (1)
SPO - +3 (4), +4 (2)

Most of the fainter meteors were no doubt lost in the smoke/haze.  I kept
thinking I was seeing something, but the sky background was just too bright
and fuzzy to nail anything down for sure.  Nothing had any contrast to it.
It was frustrating...

Clear skies, Paul