(meteorobs) VA Boom / Possible Meteor

James Beauchamp falcon99 at sbcglobal.net
Sun May 15 20:01:11 EDT 2011

Hello all,

I've done a lot of flight test work in that area these past ten years, and will say aerospace is very active in that area.

You have multiple flight test SUAS around PAX river, as well as warning areas on the outer banks. Don't forget Wallops Island, and many naval test activities as well.  The list of possibilities is essentially endless.

Then there's the fact it's a densely populated area.  Things go boom due to normal human activities - accidents, construction, etc..

A lot of people would have seen a major meteor event that time of night because it's at the tail end of the day's commute.  if they were not on the highways and roads, many more are at parks, working yards, walking the neighborhood, or having dinner/coffee outside and the like due to the good weather.

I'm not much of an expert in those, but can say from the aerospace side, the sky is the limit (pardon the pun).

Who knows...

James