(meteorobs) Back to 40.670 MHz CW for radio meteors in No. America

Paul Goelz pgoelz at comcast.net
Tue May 17 20:34:27 EDT 2011

At 12:46 PM 5/17/2011, you wrote:
>After little success yesterday with the SNOTEL/SCAN master transmit
>frequency of 41.61 MHz CW I returned to the less powerful 100 watt
>"remote station transmitter" frequency at 40.670 MHz CW and got good
>constant meteor reception without pause.  40.670 MHz CW works well, at
>least where I am.
>.
>Successful radio meteor reception will depend upon your individual
>location and transmitter/receiver geometries and proximity.

Have any of you tried the TV channel 2 video carrier frequencies of
55.24, 55.25 and 55.26 (tune 1KHz below if using USB.... 55.239,
55.249 and 55.259) recently?  Although analog broadcasting has ended
in the US, I believe analog is still in use in Canada.  Here in
Detroit, I get good results on all three frequencies.  The residual
carrier on 55.55.25 is quite strong but the other two have minimal
carriers here and produce a meteor a minute, give or take, in quiet
times.  I can also see airplanes (I assume that is what they are) and
other interesting phenomenon here.  All this with a simple 6M halo up
about 20 feet.  The receiver is a Kenwood TS480.

The only trouble is that I do not know where the transmitters are
located so I can't take a stab at a rough direction for the meteors.

Worth a try?

Paul

Paul Goelz
Rochester Hills, Michigan USA