(meteorobs) Back to 40.670 MHz CW for radio meteors in No. America

Thomas Ashcraft ashcraft at heliotown.com
Tue May 17 22:39:57 EDT 2011

On 5/17/11 6:34 PM, Paul Goelz wrote:
> Have any of you tried the TV channel 2 video carrier frequencies of
> 55.24, 55.25 and 55.26 (tune 1KHz below if using USB.... 55.239,
> 55.249 and 55.259) recently?  Although analog broadcasting has ended
> in the US, I believe analog is still in use in Canada.  Here in
> Detroit, I get good results on all three frequencies.  The residual
> carrier on 55.55.25 is quite strong but the other two have minimal
> carriers here and produce a meteor a minute, give or take, in quiet
> times.  I can also see airplanes (I assume that is what they are) and
> other interesting phenomenon here.  All this with a simple 6M halo up
> about 20 feet.  The receiver is a Kenwood TS480.
>
> The only trouble is that I do not know where the transmitters are
> located so I can't take a stab at a rough direction for the meteors.
>
> Worth a try?
>
> Paul

Hi Paul,

Definitely worth a try.  Thanks for your report.

Of possible interest to those interested in this stuff:  It is better to
attempt to find transmitters around dawn when sporadic rates are higher.
You can rotate your antenna little by little and let the meteors
themselves tune you in to optimum antenna orientation.  Attempting to
tune in in late afternoon to evening will provide the fewest meteors.

Good observing to you.

Thomas in New Mexico ( I am tuned to analog tv transmitters broadcasting
from old Mexico where they have not switched to digital as yet. )