(meteorobs) neo fly by

Mike Hankey mike.hankey at gmail.com
Thu Nov 10 17:44:56 EST 2011

I tried observing the NEO on Tuesday night but my procedure failed.
After reading a post on software bisque's website about how to acquire
and track 2005 YU55 I was able to do it. I had to update to the latest
version of the skyx and also manually install the ephemerides after
obtaining it from the JPL Horizons website. This was a 'hack' which
tracked the asteroid like a satellite because apparently it was too
close to track it the normal way.

The hack worked and I was able to acquire, track and photograph the
asteroid last night. I watched it for about 2 hours before it got
clouded out. Here are two animated gifs of it:

http://www.mikesastrophotos.com/comets/asteroid-2005yu55-close-pass-with-earth/