(meteorobs) LEO maximum from southern Maryland

Richard Taibi rjtaibi at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 18 17:42:34 EST 2011

The good news for me was the passage of a cold front on 18 NOV UT, just before nightfall.  The bad news was a persistent wind from the northwest, with frequent higher wind gusts.  I faced west to avoid the moon during the watch but it was 36 degrees F/ +2 C (plus a windchill), so I was glad I brought along a ski mask to wear.  The sky was very clear but moonlight-polluted, of course, so the Lm was +5.1.  There were  no clouds and no haze or mist, thanks to the in-rushing high pressure system.   During the three hour watch (608-915 UT), I saw 10 Leonids, including one -3 fireball.  The Leonid rate seemed low for so soon after the earth passed the meteor stream's node (3h 40m UT, according to the IMO Shower Calendar.)  The southern and northern Taurids each contributed three meteors, but no fireballs. The results are summarized below, but there is a more detailed report on the IMO webpage. November 18, 2011; 608-915 UTBel Alton, MD, USA; 76d 59m W longitude, 38d 28m N latitude, +10 meters elevation. F=1.00; Lm=5.10; Teff=2.97 hours; Field centers progressed from Triangulum to the Hyades during the watch. LEO: -3, +1, +2 (2), +3 (6), total=10;  the -3 fireball occurred at 8:49 UT. STA: +1, +2, +3,  total=3 NTA: -1, +2, +4, total=3 SPO: +2, +4 (2), total=3;    Grand total= 19 meteors