(meteorobs) Probable cosmic ray and not a meteor

Thomas Ashcraft ashcraft at heliotown.com
Sun Nov 20 10:06:29 EST 2011

On 11/20/11 6:49 AM, Jean-L. RAULT wrote:
> Dear Thomas
>
> What is (are) your argument(s) in favor of a cosmic ray ?
> Considering the duration of the visible trace and the apparent size of
> the Moon (0.5 degree), it could also be compatible with a faint meteor
> trace.
>
> Jean-Louis

Hi Jean-Louis,

My argument for cosmic rays in this case would be the description of
cosmic rays on CCD sensors in a message by Pete Gural to the meteorobs
list on August 23, 2011:

::::::::
"Cosmic rays can generate various length streaks across today's
sensitive CCDs. The length varies according to the incident angle of the
cosmic ray relative to the normal of the focal plane. That is if the
cosmic ray hit perpendicular to the CCD face, then the pixels lit up
would be a short segment or even a single pixel. While if the cosmic ray
came in at a shallow grazing angle to the focal plane, then a long
linear streak would be seen. They tend to be jagged, the same way that a
line drawn on a pixilated grid makes a stair-step sort of appearance
(loosely speaking). They also only tend to last a single frame, thus
making it possible to distinguish between meteors by the latter's
persistent movement across several frames. Cosmic ray tracks also do NOT
show the point spread function (smearing of light across several pixels
due to the optics) that stars or meteors produce.

A few years ago I ran a detection algorithm on a cover closed, dark
enshrouded PC164 camera, and found about 2 cosmic rays per night.
Today's Watec 902H2 Ultimate is more sensitive and may have more hits
per night but I have not tested this.    Cheers... Pete Gural"

In my video the main streak is contained on one single video frame and
is jagged.  Also a meteor would take some frames (time) to travel that
many pixels across the sensor.

But I do not know much about the subject and am just learning.

Thomas