(meteorobs) meteorobs Digest, Vol 6, Issue 14

Chris Peterson clp at alumni.caltech.edu
Mon Nov 21 01:33:11 EST 2011

Yes, it's just a coincidence that one of the streaks is positioned as it
is with respect to the Moon.

Cosmic rays can come from any direction with respect to the plane of the
detector. They often don't hit the detector, but hit something else
first, which produces a particle cascade and multiple simultaneous hot
pixels or hot pixel groups- just what we see here.

Certainly, cosmic rays do hit molecules higher up, and produce light,
which can be detected (there are instruments just for this purpose). But
that's not what we are seeing here. The three groups of pixels involved
look like they have been directly stimulated, not like they are imaging
anything in the sky. And in any case, the amount of light produced would
not be recorded by a camera like this. Instruments for recording
secondary photons from cosmic rays use photomultipliers, and are a few
orders of magnitude more sensitive than video cameras.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com