(meteorobs) Draconids: heliocentric radiant

Geert Barentsen geert at barentsen.be
Wed Oct 5 22:22:32 EDT 2011

All,

I believe the heliocentric radiant of the Draconids (i.e., the direction
along the stream in space), should be located near:

RA 18:41
DEC +08:15

This position is obtained by subtracting Earth's velocity from the assumed
geocentric radiant of the 1900 Draconids trail (RA 263.2, DEC 55.8, V 20.5
km/s).
(Please do correct me if I made a mistake?)

I believe this would be an interesting position for photographic or
telescopic observations to be made in the next few days, e.g. to check if
any fragments of the parent comet may be found (very speculative!), or to
search for the so-called "radiant glow" (cf. Nakamura et al.:
http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/2000ApJ...540.1172N ).

Best wishes,
Geert