(meteorobs) Draconids over Europe

Karl Antier karl.antier at laposte.net
Sat Oct 8 20:17:59 EDT 2011

Hi all,

Just back from our observing trip in Provence, South-Eastern France, on the Valensole plate.
We observed a Draconid outburst from there, but it seems it occured between the both peaks predicted by Jérémie vaubaillon, with EZHRs around 400. All this must be taken with a pinch of salt, as it's just feelings of "after observing". I'll analyse the data tomorrow, as soon as possible.

I started observing at 18h30 UT, and I was a bit stressed, as the fiorst peak should have began for two hours, and I couldn't see a single Draconid from the sunset until then.
But as soon as I begin my session (with nice lm : 5.7 to 5.8), I understood why: Draconid were very faint (80-85% with magnitude above +2.5 to +3) and very shorth-pathed (a few degrees, even for the brightest ones). But there wer numerous, as I sometimes counted 4 to 5 of them within a minute. Maximum must have occured around 19h UT.
Then activity begin to decrease, and I notice a strange phenomenon. Suddenly, Draconid became brighter, and their path became longer. I can't say exactly what time this happens, but that was very clear on the field, I'll see it while analysing the data.
Activity gwent on falling, and in the last 30' before the end of the watch (around 22h30 UT), I could only spot 1 or 2 Draconids.

So, to answer the question, Yes, the outburst was observed from Europe, but it seems its timing and activity did not fit exactly what was predicted! Still some work to do on that shower!

I hope some of you could observe it, too!
Karl

Je crée ma boîte mail www.laposte.net