(meteorobs) Giacobinids over Eastern Ontario - quick summary

Pierre Martin pmartin at teksavvy.com
Sun Oct 9 01:08:12 EDT 2011

Hi all,

I just got back from my observing site and a quick summary.  Under sky
LM=5.0, high level cirrus but very thin (approx 10% obstruction in
FOV) throughout the session, facing NNW at 60 degrees elevation
(keeping GIA radiant within view).  Observed for 3 hours TEFF starting
at 00:00UT (20:00 EDT), ending just after 03:00UT (23:00 EDT)...

I was able to see a low level of Draconids...
While setting up and waiting for a thicker cirrus patch to move away,
I casually saw a faint and short Draconid heading east in Draco's
bend.  Once signed-on, the first hour alone had 4 definite meteors
seen and plotted from the GIA radiant!  They were quite well spaced
apart (i.e. no quick bursts) but perhaps concentrated a little more
towards the beginning.  The second hour had just a single GIA but it
was the absolute highlight of the night... a gorgeous mag 0 blue-green
meteor that crawled very slowly in the border of Cygnus and Draco,
leaving a thick wake!  The third hour started off with another fairly
bright GIA of mag +1 flaring a bit low in the west.  After that, no
other GIA were seen for the rest of the hour until I signed off.
Sporadic activity was very low; few seen.

It looks like I might have seen the very tail-end of the European/
Asian outburst.

Pierre Martin
Ottawa, Ontario