(meteorobs) Real-time Draconid flux display successful!

sirko at molau.de sirko at molau.de
Sun Oct 9 13:11:42 EDT 2011

Folks,

the real-time flux display of the Draconids

http://www.imonet.org/draconids

was a big success. First we had to fight with some parameter settings,
but during the outburst you could follow the activity profile in real
time. This was in particular thanks to four observers who happened to
have clear skies with their cameras, and uploaded their data online:

B. Brinkmann (Germany) with KLEMOI
J. Kac (Slovenia) with ORION1
M. Govedic (Slovenia) with ORION2
R. Goncalves (Portugal) with TEMPLAR3

According to the first data, highest activity occured right after 20 UT
with a peak flux density of 150 meteoroids per 1000 square kilometers
and hours @ 6.5 mag. This translates to a peak ZHR of about 800, using a
formula of Koschack & Rendtel 1990. However, we know from past showers
that this is typical about twice the visual ZHR, so we would estimate
the peak visual ZHR to roughly 400. That matches well to first visual
results presented at

http://www.imo.net

You may expect more precise data in the coming days, when data from
further video cameras are uploaded offline.

A big thank to all observers, and in particular to Geert Barentsen, who
made this experiment such a success.

Best wishes,
Sirko

PS: Escaping the clouds after a 700 km ride to north-east Germany, I
watched the peak under clear skies together with my nephew, Jürgen
Rendtel and Frank Enzlein near Gardelegen, and could record the peak
with my mobile video equipment. It was big fun! :)

--
*   Sirko Molau                 *                          *
*   Abenstalstr. 13b            *              __          *