(meteorobs) Key lessons from the Draconids experience

Paul Goelz pgoelz at comcast.net
Sun Oct 9 15:04:35 EDT 2011

At 01:25 PM 10/9/2011, you wrote:
>- What's still lacking is a way to generate reliable ZHR numbers in
>near-real time,
>from either quick visual reports or the video analysis. Did anyone use the app
>http://meteorcounter.org/meteorpage/cooke_site.php - and has
>anything come out of
>this or similar efforts?
>
>The goal, IMHO, should be a meta-website where visual, video and
>radio data (like
>those http://www5f.biglobe.ne.jp/~hro/Flash/2011DRA/index.html collects) are
>merged in real time and presented to the public in a nice way ...
>
>Daniel

Just curious..... are we sure the public is interested?  I have had a
live feed of a real time spectrograph and audio stream on my web site
for a couple recent showers (but not the Draconids).  I publicized it
here and tried to get spaceweather.com interested.  My usage numbers
were essentially zero and spaceweather.com never replied to two
separate Emails so I gave up trying to contact them.  No one has ever
Emailed me about it even though it shows up in a Google search (page
4 though).  I'd be happy to go live again but I'm not sure there is
any actual interest.... even though I find it fascinating and monitor
frequently "just because".

Paul

Paul Goelz
pgoelz at comcast.net