(meteorobs) Point Meteor or Flaring Satelite

Marco Langbroek marco.langbroek at wanadoo.nl
Sat Oct 15 06:26:48 EDT 2011

Op 15-10-2011 06:56, prospector at znet.com schreef:
> It took me a moment to realize there were two small bright objects, then I
> tried to get clear of the tree to get a better look, but the event faded
> fast once I was in the open. I couldn't see anything once the flair was
> over. Too bad I didn't have my binoculars with me, usually do but I was
> checking on my cats just then.
>                                       Dave

That sounds very much like a flaring NOSS duo (NOSS = Naval Ocean Surveillance
System. They used to fly with three in the older version, the modern operational
versions fly in two's).

Normally around mag. +5, they can flare brightly to negative magnitudes under
the correct sun-satellite-observer angle.

- Marco

-----
Dr Marco (asteroid 183294) Langbroek
Dutch Meteor Society (DMS)