(meteorobs) Geosynchronous satellites

Richard Taibi rjtaibi at hotmail.com
Sun Oct 16 21:24:16 EDT 2011

Geosynchronous satellites (GSSs) are not a topic I have seen on meteorobs (but I could have missed it.)  I was fascinated by seeing at least two 'GSSs' during a morning observation on 7 October UT.  My observation period was from 645 to 800 UT at Bel Alton, MD and I faced south with a field center near alpha Ceti.  During the watch, I noticed an unfamiliar 'asterism' northwest of beta Ceti.  There were two unfamiliar 'stars' near
 theta and eta Ceti, forming a diamond shape when first seen.  During
the session, the asterism changed shape and periodically, one or both
GSSs waned into invisibility.  The two, when first seen, were about
fourth magnitude, but at 800 hr UT, one was actually second magnitude!
 At first I
 was perplexed as to what I was seeing, because the 'stars' were not the
 usual sky- spanning satellites, nor satellite flares of the Iridium
sort.  But, I remembered an article in October 2011's Sky and Telescope
magazine about observing geosynchronous satellites during a telescopic
session.  I reread the article and much of what the author had to say
about the visibility of GSSs applied to my 'stars.' The author mentioned
 that equinox times were favorable for seeing these 22,000 mile distant
satellites due to the satellites' angles with respect to the sun.
However, the author cautioned, "Rarely (a GSS) may glint to conspicuous
naked eye visibility."  Despite the caution, these 'stars' were in the
correct declination and elevation positions indicated in the article and
 therefore were very likely GSSs.  So, apparently, GSSs can get to be
bright enough to be distracting to meteor observers too.  Perhaps some
members of meteorobs have already noted these unusual sky interlopers in
 the past few weeks pre and post-equinox

Best wishes Rich