(meteorobs) Elton, part 3

Wayne Hally meteoreye at comcast.net
Mon Oct 17 02:02:04 EDT 2011

"Dear Johnny ..... come very, very, lately...indeed

It is clear from your post that you have not current on this topic as you
believe."

MW>>> LOL, see below J

" Based on your own wording you did not read the "green fireball

color" post I was referring to.  If you had you would be misquoting it too!
lol

You were so stridently proving my claim of prejudice that you did not read
my recent post except to look for opportunities to distort what you

think I said.  When you bother to bring yourself up to speed on fireball
spectra come back and I'll be happy to hear what you have to say--so

long as you can stay on topic.

The "tired old tedious green fireball thread" was never actually addressed
beyond anecdotal opinions and capture of meteor spectra is so rare

that I think there may only be one color image in existence--a Leonid  which
was captured by one of our own list members.  There are a few

specific facts from that "non-reliable, pseudo-scientific, NASA"

that has made some research available that may give insight into the
difference between spectra and perception by the human eye-brain system. I
don't want to bog this list down with technical stuff."

MW>>> Yeah, actual science would be bad.

"I am almost through but I have a few related thoughts about this whole
attempt to suppress questions by shear (sic) character attacks rather than

actually discussing the facts and principles bearing on the situation.

  Why can't the "parties" asking the questions and making the comments speak
for themselves?  I find it very curious that simple cogent

scientifically based discussion doesn't come from those most vocal against
looking for associations.  What goes for one should go for all and

claims against should be equally defended and no punches pulled out of
misguided accommodation.

John, can I assume that those parts you didn't hack, slant, or distort are
those you are in agreement with or did you just run out of imaginary

arguments that you have cute quips you could throw in?"

MW>>> He didn't distort anything, he used you own non-science against you.
Tough, eh?

MW>>>Are you aware (It's a rhetorical question) of how out of date your
knowledge is? In WGN 39:2 (Cheng and Cheng) there are spectacular color
spectrographic images of Geminid meteors ( 12 in total). IMO members can
access them here:

http://www.imo.net/files/wgn/2011/WGN39-2.pdf

And of course, this is the debris from 3200 Phaethon, an asteroid or
degassed comet in a very asteroid like orbit. 39 spectral lines were seen,
35 of which were identified. The atmospheric impact velocity is ~ 35 km/sec.

"Bottom lines;

No data can be correlated if it isn't collected and treated statistically."

MW>>> OK, sure. You haven't done that.

"Collected data can sit un-reviewed and has no knowledge building benefit."

MW>>> Well, collected data is worthless without serious scientific analysis.
"I think so" doesn't count. Do some serious analysis and submit it for peer
review.

"The major point of the discussion going on for almost a year now is that
the possibilities need to be addressed with some starting point and a

starting point has been proffered.  Else claims either way are moot and
useless."

MW>>> Possibilities should be addressed, when there is some scientific
evidence and analysis, not purely hyped websites..