(meteorobs) Recent meteor actibvity

Paul Jones jonesp0854 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 20 05:41:10 EDT 2011

I just got in from a 30 minute casual watch from my driveway here in St.
Augustine and did surprisingly well, considering for the still pretty bright
moon light.  From 4:45 to 5:15 a.m. local time, I had 9 Orionids and 3
sporadics in the the 30 minutes.  One of the Orionids was a lovely zero
magnitude with a nice train.  Two other Orionids were second magnitude.
Limiting magnitude was around 5.5.  A well placed late October cold front
swept through yesterday and dried us out and cooled us off nicely, the temp
was 49 degrees F. The next few days look great!
The moon's got some waning to do and the Orionids have some picking up to
do, but not too shabby all told for two days before the predicted maximum.
I'll be out again in the morning with a more serious watch!

Clear skies, Paul in north Florida