(meteorobs) neos versus mbas

Thomas Dorman drygulch_99 at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 20 08:57:46 EDT 2011

John
I do not believe anyone has put forth that any NEO are producing
meteor showers.If I missed such statements please point them out to me.In
addition with all the visual and camera recorded events observed over the many
years these are only a small fraction of fireballs that actually hit the earth
each year.Let take these visual and camera recorded events that have
produced orbitial inforamation you are looking at an even smaller pool of data
to work from.Let leave out visual observations and look at the camera data there
are less than handful world wide that are producing orbital data. Let throw in
basicly that data from nearly one hemishpere is lacking on a daily,weekly,
yearly time frame So it seems to me a stretch to say that there is no way that
NEO produce zero fireballs.
One part of your post seem to suggest that main belt asteroid are different than
NEO.Based on what? Spaceweathering? Then you state mainbelt meteorites have been
found on earth.You seemed to be putting out conflicking blanket statements that
you yourself have very little data to support your position and is based more in
theory.
Hey,seems we are where we were over a decade ago where the general theory,which
was held for decades, that on average visual observer only would see one or two
fireballs a year from any location.Then that as been proven wrong  but I am sure
some experts still hold to that theory even today.
My point is that to make any statement at this time that it is impossible for
NEO to produce any fireballs is non-sense.John,my view is in the next 25 years
we will see that least a small population of fireball over the earth having a
link to NEOs.
http://www.projectasteroid.org/composition.htm
This link seems to suggest that some meteorites represent the NEO population. I
wonder how they got to earth?
The other point is that we should be on the look out for fireball meteorite
dropping events that  may represent the NEO meteorite population that have been
found so far on Earth.What is the harm if it advances our understanding of the
NEO phenomena?Remember in any era the leading scientific authority has been some
of the biggest stumbling block to the advancement of science because of closed
mindedness.
Regards
Thomas